Path to Mt Canisy Military Cemetery
The military cemetery owes its existence to the presence of the 14th convalescent depot at Trouville in October 1917 and at the same time to a fleet of trawlers at Deauville. It became important when the Trouville Hospital Area, which later comprised the 72nd, 73rd and 74th General Hospitals, and the 13th, 14th and 15th convalescent depots, was set
up in February 1918. The Law of 29 December 1915 (Application Decree 25 November 1920) provides for the concession of this plot of land for perpetuity by France to the United Kingdom so that the latter could bury its fallen soldiers there on French soil. And so the military cemetery was laid out in 1920.
Lined up in rows are 293 graves of soldiers from the First World War who died at the depot either from their injuries, or, as was the case for over a third of them, from Spanish Flu. There are the graves of 193 sailors, soldiers and airmen, two civilians from the United Kingdom and eight soldiers from Australia, seven from Canada, and one from New Zealand. 24 American soldiers and 57 German prisoners are also buried there.
The cemetery was then used during the Second World War and so also lined up in rows are the graves of 46 British, Canadian and German soldiers from that period.
There is free entry to the cemetery every day, all year round.